Saturday, February 21, 2009

The wonder pets

I have a big problem with animals that talk. I cannot stand movies or commercials where there is some sort of real animal (not a cartoon) that is talking. Like the movie Babe, where the pig talks or the TV commercial for the toliet paper where that cute little puppy is talking. I don't know what it is about them but it just creeps me out and I don't like it. So, of course Ella has come to love this children's show called The Wonder Pets where the animals do indeed talk.

I'm sure you already know who The Wonder Pets are but just in case....


The guinea pig is Linny, the turtle is Tuck and Ming-Ming is the duck. This crazy trio of animals travels around in their flying boat to save animals in distress. When I first saw this show, I thought it was completely ridiculous and thought no way is Ella ever going to watch this. So, I'm not quite sure how she has come to love this show so much. We are pretty good about allowing her to watch only an hour of TV a day. Thirty minutes of that is always Dora and the other thirty minutes is either Diego, Yo Gabba Gabba or now her new favorite, The Wonder Pets.

Earlier this week we were at Target and Ella was being a little fussy. I spotted a Wonder Pets book that had been misplaced and gave it to her in the hopes that it would capture her attention and I could finish up my shopping. It did the trick and ended up coming home with us. It is now a favorite - we read it before nap time and before bed time. She insists that she sleep with it and when she shows up in our room at the crack of down, she has it clutched in her hand along with bunny and giraffey.

Even though the show is kind of growing on me, I still have not changed my opinion about talking animals. But we do think it's pretty cute when Ella goes running around the house saying "Wonder Pets save the day!"

4 comments:

Lisa said...

I hate talking animals too!! Chris makes fun of me all the time. Right now Alex and Zach are hooked on Milo and Otis and it drives me up the wall.

On a similar note, though, I didn't think my kids would ever watch the Teletubbies because that show was so ridiculous, but Alex and Zach both went through phases where they couldn't get enough. I guess it just goes to show that we can't always choose what our kids will like!

chris said...

Kathryn actually only freaks out when the animal's mouth moves as it talks. If the animal is only "thinking" words, then there's no problem.

lojack said...

this cartoon freaks me out. shelly's girls love it. yikes.

kathryn said...

lol sweet t -if you had seen the show i would have been a little worried!