Sunday, April 25, 2010

Yay policeman!

This blog post is WAY overdue! This event happened almost 3 weeks ago! I'm the worst blogger ever. Sorry for the delay all you faithful readers.

So, about three weeks ago, I experienced one of the scariest moments to date as a mom. Looking back, it seems kind of silly to have had the reaction that I did. But as the everything was unfolding before me, I did indeed freak out a bit. Ella was on Spring Break that particular week and I wanted us to do something fun and memorable. Well, it was memorable alright, just not the way that I intended it to be!

We were down in Fayetteville since my aunt and uncle who were in town for the day. We went out to dinner. I drove the girls in my car and my parents and aunt and uncle drove in another car. After dinner, my dad helped me take the girls to the car and then left to take everyone else home. I finished buckling the girls in their carseats and shut the door. I went to open my door and it wouldn't open. I tried opening Maddie's door and it wouldn't opened. I tried to open the trunk and I am sure you can guess what I am about to say...yep, it did not open. I had locked my keys (and the the girls!) in the car.

My parents were just driving out of the parking lot, I was able to flag them down with my frantic arm waving. Not to mention the fact that I ran after them. They came back, my parents helped to calm me down and my mom called 911. A sheriff showed up within a couple of minutes. As he tried to unlock the car, my aunt and uncle entertained the girls. Thankfully, the girls had no idea what was going on. They just sat there smiling and waving like nothing was wrong. Finally, after what seemed like an eternity (it couldn't have been more than three or four minutes) the sheriff had the doors unlocked. The girls were fine, just a little sweaty. It also just happened to be 80 degrees that day.

I definitely learned my lesson and my keys will always stay with me. I have become almost neurotic about it now. I am grateful for my parents and aunt and uncle who were there to help calm me down and I will forever be grateful to that police officer.

As we were driving home, I explained to the girls that mommy had locked her keys in the car and that I was very sorry that they were stuck in the car. Ella said, "It's okay, Mommy." Maddie then went on to say "Yay, Mommy!" Ella chimed in and said, "No, Maddie, not Yay, Mommy. Yay, policeman!"

We did end Spring Break on a good note by going to the zoo. The girls would go here every day if I would let them. Good thing we have a season pass! If you asked them, Ella would tell you that her favorite animals to see at the zoo would be the giraffes, followed by the gorillas and Maddie's favorites are the monkeys with the "mingos" coming in at a close second.

Here are the girls checking out the "mingos".


And the train ride is always a favorite.

No comments: